Thursday, November 17, 2011

Friends from Long Ago

Today Hubby, the two younger kids, and I met with a friend and her husband while they were visiting California from Illinois.  We found each other on Facebook recently but haven't seen each other since High School.  And she is just as kind, artistic, and interesting as I had remembered.  I mean how many people, when they are celebrating their 50th birthday, choose to go hang gliding?  Especially someone who lives in the Midwest!  I used to be afraid of riding my bike or driving down a hill when I first moved out West.  I don't think I'd have the courage to jump off a cliff!

We met at a restaurant in a mall that I had never been to before.  It was a Vietnamese mall in San Jose which was a real cultural experience. They had a store with Buddha and Mary statues.  Another had pots.  Another store had orchids.  And the tailor had Vietnamese traditional clothes in the front window. Now in San Jose I'm pretty used to a diversity in cultures and races, but this was extreme.  There was no one else that wasn't asian.  Of course the food at the restaurant was absolutely awesome!  Even the kids liked it which, considering their food issues lately, was really good.

Our friend is an artist and raises alpacas and rides horses.  He is a pilot.  They are Christians and have three kids which range in age between teens and young adults. We had a great time catching up on what we've been up to the past 30 years.  Isn't it interesting that with some people, you can be away from them for years, but then feel like you are better friends now than when you were younger?  I wish I had more time to spend with them.  They are awesome people!

Just Outside the Restaurant

An Alpaca Ornament My Friend Made Out of  Fiber From Her Own Alpacas

No comments:

Post a Comment