Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Beef Stew

Today was another busy day, though not as unexpected like yesterday's 4 1/2 hour trip to the emergency room. Knowing it would be filled, I decided to pull out the crock pot and start supper (dinner for you West Coast people) in the morning. It is so simple and good on a cold winter day.


Here is the basic recipe:

Cut in about 1 inch pieces:

Beef roast
Carrots (If I'm really lazy, I'll use the peeled mini carrots.)
Peeled potatoes (though I've not peeled them before, especially using new potatoes, and it was OK.)

Add chopped:

onions
garlic

Add:

salt to taste
water to cover

Cook in covered crock pot all day

Easy! And it's a good way to use up really bad cuts of beef (or other meat).  The roast I used today was so tough when I was cutting it, I wondered if the kids would eat it at all. But the slow cooking tenderized it so much, the meat fell apart when I stirred it. I didn't put in amounts because that's how I roll, and you can vary the amounts quite a bit and it would still be good. Today I used about a two pound roast, about six medium potatoes, a pound of carrots, and two onions. I didn't have the garlic, but it still worked.

So after teaching, grocery shopping, dog walking, a homeschool Christmas party, and a trip to the dog shelter with Ms. D, I was able to come home to a ready cooked meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment