Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting a Coin Out of the Mouth of a Fish

In a few days we have to pay property taxes. Yes, the bill is due on the same month we have a bunch of birthdays and Christmas, which to me is pretty bad timing. I know we should save every month to save for the big tax bills in December and April, but this year has been a bit tight financially. We still are digging ourselves out of a hole that started when we had three in college and Hubby was out of work for a few months. Of course, we are doing much better than many. We didn't lose our house, we are able to pay our monthly bills, and we still are able to give to the people in Central America through my husband's nonprofit, Progress Tools.  I can see God's hand in providing for our needs throughout these past few years.

In the Bible, actually Matthew 17, the disciples are asked by the authorities to pay their taxes. Not having the money to pay, they asked Jesus what to do. Jesus told them to throw a line out, and the fish they would catch would have a coin in its mouth which would be enough to pay the taxes. Well I couldn't figure out how we were going to pay the few thousand dollar tax bill next week. The only way I could think of was to borrow. I was really not looking forward to that because I've been working hard to pay off debt and this would set us back. I was beginning to worry. But God had another idea.

Today I opened a card from my aunt and uncle. I actually had it for a couple of days, but was sick when it came, so I didn't open it right away. In it was some money from my Grandma who passed away. It was enough to pay the taxes for December plus some more! And even better, Hubby is working at home today so he was here when I saw God's provision. I sometimes need encouragement from others of God's goodness and provision because my default is to worry. I really need reminders. But God is good! His kindness is amazing! He provided abundantly!

Thank you, Grandma. Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment