Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ok, Can I Breathe Now?

Today was a whirlwind of activity. It started this morning at four when Hubby woke up with a lot of pain. It isn't a serious condition, but it is extremely painful, so we ended up going to the emergency room later in the morning for about 4-5 hours. Because they really didn't want to wait around at a place that brings up all sorts of anxieties and because of the excitement of the day before, I gave the kids a choice. 1. Come with us to the hospital. 2. If you think you can not fight, be scared, or get into trouble, you can stay home alone for a little over an hour until your older sister comes home from college.

The hospital is about 2 miles away, we have trusted neighbors who are busy but home, and we were in constant contact by cell phone, so I wasn't worried to much about their safety, but I was worried about them emotionally during this time.  With our older kids who don't come from hard backgrounds, leaving a 12 and 13 year old would be a no brainer. Of course someone that old could be trusted to be alone for an hour or so under these circumstances! But with my kids it was a big deal.
A Really Big Deal!


And they did beautifully! They called or texted a few times to check in. Well, they checked in every 15 to 20 minutes under the guise of asking questions like, "What can we eat? How long does it take to boil water for noodles? Should we walk the neighbor's dogs when Black Belt Daughter comes home?" They actually held it together until their sister came home! After that, they kind of fell apart, but that's OK. They did it! They survived being apart from me for a little bit.

When we came home and got Hubby settled, I then took the kids to do a few errands. We stopped at In-and-Out on the way home since other than school time I hadn't been home a good part of the day. I was planning to make some cookies for a Christmas cookie exchange for our homeschool group tomorrow. But first I sat down for a few minutes to check my email but then realized that I forgot about a Help One Child support group. I had really wanted to go to it since they were showing a Dr. Karyn Purvis movie on raising kids from hard backgrounds. So off I went again! I'm so glad I went. Each time I go I am encouraged to work on something else. I'll write more on that later.

I had to pick up a few things at the store on the way home and realized I wouldn't have time to make the cookies this evening. But when I came home, Micro Bio Daughter and Ms. D were making snicker doodles! I'm so thankful for my family!

So now, after all the excitement today, I'm finding myself holding my breath or breathing shallowly. So I need to relax and breathe deep. And....Slow....Down.....

No comments:

Post a Comment