Friday, December 9, 2011

Unintended but Good in the End

Today I am thinking about how many things in life are unintended, but end up being good in the long run.

Some are things I can see the good right away. Today I took the kids to the library and ran across a friend I haven't seen in months. She lives in our neighborhood, home schools, and has adopted children who are adults now, so we have a lot in common. So it was good to chat. Of course we stayed in the library much longer than usual, the kids usually want to be in and out in 15 minutes, so it was a stretch for them, but it was good for me. Hey, even adults need socialization!!! 

Some things which are unintended are not serious, but can be annoying. Today, as I tried to move one of our cars out of the way of the street sweeper, I realized someone left the lights on and the battery was dead. Hubby was in bed resting from his illness and the kids and I couldn't push the car up the driveway in time for the street sweeper. It was an annoyance to me. Life is full of these type of things. The car dies, the food burns, the glass breaks, the computer freezes.  When these sort of things happen I have a choice. I can get angry or stressed, or I can let it go and move on. When my kids used to drop a plate, they would panic and run away. Well, they still do. And that's even after years of me smiling and saying, "That's OK. Let's just clean it up." Because of their reactions, and because they have broken so many things, they've taught me to hold onto things loosely, to make a priority in my life for people, not stuff. And when I see the fear in their eyes, I am reminded to not let such little things get to me. Now I'm not perfect, it takes a lot of practice, but I'm getting better at it. I need to remember that it's just a little thing, not a BIG thing.

Other things which are unintended are big things. Tragic. You wonder why. Miscarriages, murder, loss of jobs, divorce, loss of a child, serious illness, both physical and mental. The list goes on. My heart goes out to those I know who have gone through some of these things recently, because I have suffered also. Some of these things you can see the good coming from them after a while. When my kids came in contact with their birth family I was frightened, worried that my daughter had plans to run away to them, worried about the gang influence and the brother and cousins who were in jail for murder. But through the months I can see good coming from contact with them. The kids seem to appreciate us more. They know we love them. They know they are loved by both sides of the family. And maybe some will come to know Jesus better through this.  

But some difficult and unintended things happen that we can't see the good. During those times we need to not ask God why, but look to Him to comfort us, to hold us up, to bring us through. Because someway, somehow, God will carry us through those times if we look to Him. I want to remember this now when things are going relatively Ok. Because when I'm thrown off track by misfortune, I need to almost automatically turn to God and trust that somehow He'll work it all out for good in the end, even if the end is in heaven with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment