Friday, January 6, 2012

Great Book!

Last night I was babysitting my little grandson. We had a great time playing, wrestling, and enjoying each other.

After I put him to bed, I was able to finish a book that Hubby bought and read. It was The Grace Effect by Larry Alex Taunton. The subtitle is "How the Power of One Life Can Reverse the Corruption of Unbelief".  It is an adoption story, but so much more. Interweaved with Taunton's family's story of adopting a ten year old girl from the Ukraine, he discusses how Christianity affects a culture, and how it's absence affects the treatment of the poor, the orphans, and the old. Taunton did an awesome job in this book in being able to write about theological issues and grace, yet interweaving their family's journey in such a way to keep me interested. Yes, he writes of their adoption, but it's much broader than that. He was able to show how even though we aren't a Christian nation, we are influenced by Christianity, and that influence benefits everyone, whether they are Christian or not.  God blesses us with a common grace. He also compares how our culture, with it's Christian influence, treats it's poor, old, and orphans, and how a totally atheistic culture treats theirs. His story highlights the differences.

The Grace Effect impacted me on so many levels. I think this book is another one that will be passed around quite a bit among my family and friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment