Thursday, February 16, 2012

On the Mend

Ms. D is on the mend today. I was really worried about her being dehydrated last night, since she couldn't keep anything down. I did wake up in the middle of the night to check on her and give her a sip of liquid. It was hard to get her to drink much because her stomach was so queazy from the strep. But this morning I got her popsicles and it worked. If she hadn't, it would have been back to the hospital. Thankfully, she got better by the hour and drank more than yesterday. I don't know what people did with strep throat before antibiotics. I guess scarlet and rheumatic fever were more of a problem. I don't dare tell Ms. D that she needs to take the medicine or it could be bad for her, yet it's really hard to get her to take the antibiotics. She has a tendency to over blow every little hurt or illness, just like her birth mom. I can't tell you how many times I had to reassure her that it's normal and a sign her body fights infection when she feels a lymph node. I've had her obsess over those things even the day after going to the doctor for a well child visit. I've even played the "I had three years of nursing school and 28 years of raising kids so I know what I'm talking about" card, but it doesn't really work. She still worries about her health, despite refusing to do some of the things that would help herself be healthier. I've heard other parents of kids with FASD say their kids do the same kind of thing, so I guess I'm not alone.

So far, no one else in the family has a sore throat. I'm keeping an eye out for it though. I thought I was possibly coming down with it yesterday, but it was just scratchy from being tired and allergies. I hope it doesn't spread. Illnesses spread fast in a larger family, even when we try to take precautions.


No comments:

Post a Comment