Monday, March 5, 2012

Almond milk

One of the things we learned at the chocolate class was to make almond milk. I had been frightened a bit by watching a friend make soy milk once, and so I imagined almond milk would be just as difficult. But it's not! With almonds being so plentiful in California, and since regular milk doesn't agree with me, I think I'll try making almond milk at home.

Soak 16 oz. raw almonds for 4-8 hours.
Drain
Put almonds in blender with 2-4 times water to almonds (the teacher uses 2 1/2-3 times)
Blend
Strain the milk in bag or cheesecloth, of course saving the milk
The leftover almonds can be used in bread
Add honey, fruit (strawberries, bananas, dates) and ground vanilla to taste

Doesn't it sound easy?

The chocolate class teacher added frozen strawberries, vanilla, local wildflower honey, and a few fresh dates. It made such a delicious smoothie!

I don't know if my blender can work, but I might just invest in a better one if it doesn't. I like the idea of making more of my food from fresh, local ingredients.



No comments:

Post a Comment