Monday, March 12, 2012

Making Lemonade

I thought it'd be good to write something about making lemonade out of lemons, using the old saying to tie in what's going on in my life. But today is kind of busy with a psychiatrist appointment, schoolwork, and trying to get as much laundry done before it starts raining, so I'm not in the space to do much reflection. So maybe another time.

Yesterday I really did make lemonade, and I'll do some more soon. Our Meyer lemon tree is full of ripe fruit, and really needs to be harvested. There are still hundreds of lemons on that poor tree, even after using lemons for our own use and sharing with friends and neighbors. So before the rain makes the tree heavier, I need to get going and make some juice to freeze.

A few years ago Hubby got me a nice citrus squeezer. So it doesn't take long to cut the fruit in half, put in the lemon or orange, drop the handle, and collect the juice. We used to have a squeezer that needed more muscle power, but our Orange X does the job easily. I just have to make sure I put the cup under the part the juice comes out, and don't start spacing off and leave my finger in the way. OUCH!

When the lemons are squeezed I make lemonade by putting about a cup of lemon juice in a pitcher, sweeten it to taste, and add ice and water.  One friend adds blended strawberries. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds yummy!

Whatever lemon juice I don't use, I freeze in ice cube trays, small plastic containers, or silicon muffin cups. The next day I pop them out and put them in a plastic freezer bag. That way, I can bring out just what I need later. It's nice to have different sizes to choose from for different recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment