Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Growth

If I were to choose two words that best describe the past two days, they would be new growth.

I checked on the peas today before it started to rain again, and they are almost four inches high. They are doing well, considering how I've neglected my garden this winter. The birds got to them a little, but not as much as in past years. 


Because Black Belt Daughter is on spring break, I was able to go to a prayer meeting yesterday morning for our house church. I was wondering if I would have much to give, since I have felt pretty dry spiritually the past few months. But as we prayed for some women about to travel to lead a retreat, I found I was able to listen and pray pretty well. It felt good to be moving in the right direction, since I've felt pretty stuck in so many ways lately.

Later yesterday I took the kids to the dentist. Though Mr. I was a bit dysregulated in the morning, he was awesome during the cleaning and exam. He even swished the fluoride in his mouth! That's a big deal. A really big deal! This is the same kid who jumped off the chair in the middle of a filling a couple of years ago. We had to come back with Hubby later to finish the process. Mr. I has a great fear of dentists, so to sit still and follow directions are signs of growth. 

Then in the evening, Hubby and I had left for a meeting and the kids did well with Microbio Daughter in charge.  That we were able to leave the kids after a dentist visit, and have good behavior, is a sign of great growth. 

We got some food to deliver at the meeting, and after that popped in at Birthmom's house unannounced. It was the end of the month, so she was so happy to get the food. Once again, all my fears of feeling angry at her vanished as soon as I saw her. I am growing in my ability to love Birthmom and to forgive her. One of her cousins came in and so Birthmom gave her some food and told the cousin that God is so good to provide for them. We prayed for her and then she prayed for us. Birthmom even seems to be growing too!

Today I took the kids to see the Hunger Games. I never know how they will respond to a film. But this time they did well and were pretty regulated afterwards. Sometimes even children's movies would be too stimulating for them and they would act out. But today they were calm and happy. Wow! More growth!

This evening Hubby and I delivered more food and were gone for a couple of hours. When we came back, Mr. I was trying to make a crepe with Nutella for a snack. He made the crepe himself and flipped it over without help! Usually he doesn't do it right and then gets frustrated. But not tonight! That he calmly made something that is really pretty difficult, and did it with a good attitude on a night I wasn't here, shows awesome growth!

Growth doesn't always happen in a steady manner. Sometimes there are plateaus or even a little going backwards. I've surely done that before! But after such a long season of difficulties, it is good to see the growth in me and in others. I am so thankful that we don't have to always have the same problems and that we can grow.  It gives me hope for the future, both in my own life, in the life of my kids, and in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment