Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ummm...You Want to do What?

I just realized that Mr. I made plans to go to the mall with a few friends. Without an adult.

The rule in our house is there is no unsupervised mall walking until you are old enough to work in a mall. There are just too many things that could go wrong in that environment, especially for kids who are easily overstimulated and impulsive.

Mr. I had asked a few days ago with a friend's mom, so I said yes. But then the mom had to do some other errands and so they couldn't go then, but today would be better. Well today he said he needed a ride, and it took a bit for me to wonder why would he need a ride if he's going with an adult? When I found out their plans, I told him no, that there is no going to the mall unless there is an adult. He then said I let him do it a few weeks ago. I didn't realize until he said this that he was unsupervised the last time he went. I thought he was going with some friends to a dance competition next to the mall, at least that's what he told me, and I assumed he needed a ride home because he had to leave before the other boys were finished. I should never assume with my kids. They can be full of surprises. In his thinking, if I let him do something once, even if he hid some of the story, I should let him do it again. Umm...no.

The part that bugs me is that I was so dense. I guess I shouldn't feel so bad, though. I think there was a little muddling on purpose on his part. Once it dawned on me what was going on I told him no. I stood my ground. I will not be manipulated. I will do what's best for my kids. I am MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment