Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pride and Prejudice

I normally don't write of my political leanings. I find, especially in the Bay Area, that to "come out" with anything other than a particular political leaning is a sure way to invite trouble.


Last night I read a disturbing post. One friend had a cartoon picturing the same sized brains for three different "races" of people, and a tiny brain with the word racist below it. I agree with this cartoon. In fact, if I was able to completely erase the word race, I'd be a happy camper. As Martin Luther King Jr. said in his "I Have a Dream" speech, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."


What was disturbing to me was not my friend's post, but what one of her friends wrote below it. In it she said the small brain was a Republican one. It disturbed me because someone was grouping a diverse part of the country, lumping them together, and dehumanizing them. It worries me when I hear of people lumping others in groups based on the color of their skin, religion, political leanings, or other arbitrary grouping. It worries me when after putting people into these groups, people become the targets of jokes, persecuted, or shunned. It worries me that there seems to be an increased tension between people lately, not based on their character, but on the color of their skin, their religion, or political affiliation. 


It hurts to be called racist, stupid, and uncaring just because I may tend to vote a certain way. It hurts because of my own pride. But it also hurts because people are judging me, not for what I have done, but because I may have a different political viewpoint than them, or because my skin is a certain color, or because I'm a Christian. It is also prideful to think that if someone doesn't completely agree with you, or look like you, that he or she is less of a person.  


I don't know where all this will end. People in our country are becoming more and more violent, and more polarized based on some of these things. I wonder if one of the reasons there seems to be more racism is because some think it would be a way to promote their cause, whatever side they are on. I hope not. I pray that God will be able to break down every wall we erect between each other, and with God.  And I pray protection over our country, and that brother will not fight against brother, but we will be a blessing to our neighbors, whatever religion, national origin, or political viewpoint.



2 comments:

  1. Since 2008 I have become an atheist. No, not regarding God but politically. We all need to be set free from the controlled divsion among us know as thew left-right paradigm. I agree whole-heartedly with many of the things my liberal Democrat friends believe in just as I do my Republican conservative ones. This divide is a weapon of the enemies of freedom to keep us from knowing what's really going on. Don't bother with the left and the right wings. Study the brain of the bird.

    ReplyDelete