Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Little Avoidance Going On Here

There is a little avoidance going on here, and it isn't with the kids.

Yes, I'm the one who's been doing the avoiding!

I haven't sewn, knitted, or crocheted for a few months, other than a quick mending here and there that I have to do or we'll have a bigger mess later . Oh, I have plenty of materials and waiting projects, but I just haven't been able to bring the things out and start creating.  It's usually been my therapy to do handcrafts, but for some reason I've hit a wall. It's almost as if I'm afraid to start, and I don't know why. There are books to read, yard work to catch up, a blog to write, even housework to do! If you know me, housework is typically my downfall. The house is slowly shaping up, but I'm avoiding what really brings me joy, creating beautiful things that last longer than a clean kitchen!

Another thing that I had been avoiding was sending Ms. D's psychological and cognitive report to the regional center. I finally sent it out yesterday after nearly three months of having it sit on my nightstand. I didn't even reread it until today. Yes, that thing was sitting next to me for months and I couldn't bring myself to look at the thing! So I overcame my avoidance and procrastination, and did what I should have done a long time ago. I'm pretty teary eyed about it too. But somehow I need to get past all this grieving and learn to accept it, so I can better parent Ms. D. It takes time, but it's also taking a lot of courage to do what is best for her.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get out my knitting needles or my sewing machine. My avoidance behavior has gone on too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment