Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remembering Papo

Last night I got a call from our neighbor friend across the street. Her dad, who my kids and his grand kids call Papo, was not expected to be revived and she needed me to stay with her kids while she went to see him. He did pass away, but her mom started to have chest pains and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I stayed at my neighbor's home until she and her husband returned a bit after four this morning. Today we are watching their toddler which is a very good thing for Ms. D and Mr. I.

Mr. I and Ms. D adored Papo. He treated my kids like grandchildren, and was very kind. Though his health was poor for the past few years, as long as we've known him actually, he always had a smile and a zest for life. He was a strong Christian, which takes away the sting of losing him, at least for me. I know, and my friend knows, that he is in heaven and is not burdened by pain and illness any longer. But many in the family don't believe, so his passing will be even harder. We will all miss Papo. Like my experience with my own father, a long illness doesn't really prepare the family and friends when death finally catches up. It is such a shock, even though you think you are prepared. I pray that God will comfort them.

I am thankful for knowing Papo. I am thankful that he was able to go to a graduation party and a family wedding this past weekend and enjoy his family, whom he loved dearly. I am thankful that Mr. I was able to help at the party and see him one last time. My kids will have some more mourning work to do now, which scares me. But having Papo's grandson over today has been good, especially for Ms. D.

We love you, Papo! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment