Friday, June 8, 2012

Preparing for an Overnight Without Kids

I volunteered to man a booth this weekend in the Sacramento area for Chea, our state homeschool organization, months ago. At the time I was asked, our family had just gone through a three month string of hospitalizations and doctor visits. Escaping for a day and a half seemed like a great idea at the time, even though it isn't anything like laying around poolside in the sun. I really am looking forward to it. I love talking to people about homeschooling and encouraging people. It will be a nice change to talk to adults without my kids listening in on every word, even though they might not be in the same room. Sometimes I think the kids' hypervigilance is almost as tiring to me as it must be to them! It takes a lot of creativity on my part to ask people for prayer and support without saying anything about the kids, their birth family, or situations that happen during the week that are overwhelming to me. What makes it even harder is that the kids assume I am talking about them all the time. I really don't, even though they are a big part of my life right now.

Because I'm leaving later this morning and coming back tomorrow while our church meets at our house, I'm having to clean things up as much as possible. Of course it rarely is as easy as I would hope. We wrapped up the school year this week and I tried to fit as much as possible into the last few days. I also had a bit of a virus earlier this week that was pretty mild, but the aches and fatigue slowed me down. Ms. D caught it too, and she stayed in bed most of yesterday. That means I had less help cleaning. But Mr. I noticed, and he cleaned his messes up and did dishes yesterday without any prompting by me! I think this is a first! He even went up into the attic this morning to get a carry on for me. He is using his words, not weird behaviors, to tell me he doesn't want me to leave!

My family has a birthday party and a memorial service to attend so they'll be pretty busy too. But as long as everyone pitches in to do the finishing touches on the house before people come tomorrow, the house will be fine. I suppose this will be one of the times I'll have to relax and trust my family. If things fall apart while I'm gone, I'll have more practice in putting down my pride. But if I assume they will do well, I'll have a much better time. So that's what I'll do.


No comments:

Post a Comment