Monday, July 2, 2012

Thai Fried Sweet Potatoes

When Hubby and I went on our sailboat date, we had fried sweet potatoes at a Thai restaurant. I decided to see if I could make some for the family. I looked at a few recipes to get a basic idea of how they are made, and adjusted and substituted some ingredients. It worked out pretty well!

First, I pealed and cut up about 6-8 sweet potatoes in strips no thicker than about 1/4 inch, the white kind. I suppose I could have used the orange yams, but the sweet potatoes were what we ate at the restaurant.



Then I mixed together about 2/3-3/4 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup finely shredded dry coconut, and about a teaspoon of baking powder. I could have used rice flour instead of wheat flour and sesame seeds, but I didn't have either. These are just estimations of amounts. When I cook I rarely measure things out exactly. I save that for baking.

Next, I added a can of coconut milk and a little water to make a batter that had the consistency of pancake batter. At first I didn't add enough liquid, so the first ones were too puffy, so I added some more until they came out right. I then dipped the potato strips into the batter.


 After that, it was time to fry the sweet potatoes. I heated the oil up too much at first and so the outsides burned before the insides cooked. Next time I'll start it a little cooler and then add more heat as I put in more of the potatoes.  That way the oil stays hot, but not too hot.


I fried the potatoes for a few minutes until golden brown, turning and gently separating the strips as they cooked.


When they were done, I drained the sweet potatoes on either a paper napkin or a cotton one. I actually used both to see what worked better. I think I'll use the cotton napkins from now on.

We served the Thai sweet potatoes with a Thai sweet sauce. Mr. I liked them with barbeque sauce, but he likes just about everything with barbeque sauce! Of course, they are even good plain as long as you eat them right away.


Today I also made a chicken stuffed with rosemary and onion in the sun oven. We had the Thai sweet potatoes, cheesy bread, and salad with it for dinner. Even though this was the first time the kids ate the sweet potatoes, they said they really liked them. It isn't often that they will try a new food without fussing and then really enjoy it. I guess it's because the sweet potatoes were fried and probably not very healthy for us. I might try crisping them in an oven some day to reduce the fat, but this time I wanted to try frying, since that is how they were cooked at the restaurant.

I'll definitely make the Thai fried sweet potatoes again. It was a bit of work to coordinate the cooking, since they have to be eaten right away. So the rest of the meal needs to be pretty simple or I need to have extra hands to help. But the family likes the fried sweet potatoes, so it will be a special treat from time to time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment