Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Manna

Look at all this food!
Today I picked up some more food to distribute to group homes and to those struggling financially in our city. And this is what's left after giving some to a friend who just adopted three (yes, three) kids from Ethiopia and an unemployed neighbor who took some for herself and some for two other families in need.

Looking at all this food and knowing some of the stories of the people who will receive it reminds me how blessed I really am. As I was dropping off the food to the adoptive mom, she told me of how her kids would eat until they vomited the first few days after arriving in the States. They had learned to eat all they could get their hands on so they wouldn't starve. They just couldn't comprehend that there would be plenty more in a few hours. And yesterday, as those in that family were talking about what they were thankful for, one of their kids said, "I have plenty to eat." Think about it. There are people all over the world, and some in our own country, who are starving or who have known hunger. Real hunger. I remember as a child coming home from school to a kitchen with just spices in the cabinet and mustard in the refrigerator. And I know I am not alone in that experience. There are many who are falling through the cracks. And the food donated by stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are filling the stomachs and easing the stress of those who we are able to bless.

I am also blessed to have an awesome family. My sons and their wives are involved in church ministries, are going to school for health care careers, and are helping in the food distribution. My older kids are all missions minded. One daughter couldn't afford to visit a missionary this summer, but she gave what money she did save to the missionary, instead of spending it on clothes or entertainment. Another daughter has been helping so much with the younger kids. I can't tell you how happy I was to hear her talking with Ms. D last night before bed, giggling, and playing with the puppy. Ms. D wasn't feeling well because of girl stuff, but spending time with a sister lifted her spirits. It amazes me how my older children live to serve God and others, and being a blessing is more important to them than getting ahead financially. I see other young people who live for pleasure, yet can't find it, yet my kids find pleasure in living and giving. I'm so proud of each and every one, and that includes my daughters in law!

Yes, I am blessed. And during difficult times, I need to be reminded of how truly blessed I am. I have more than enough. My cup is overflowing...And so is my dining room!

No comments:

Post a Comment