Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pseudo Seizure at the Blood Draw

This morning I took Ms. D to get her blood drawn to make sure that she isn't anemic or have something else that may be causing her to sleep so much. She had to be fasting for twelve hours, so I woke her up before Microbio Daughter went to work. It was the only way I could figure out how to leave without having to drag the puppy and Mr. I with us. Mr. I, like I said yesterday, is very frightened to be left alone lately, even for a few minutes.

Everything went well until the second vial was being filled, and Ms. D had another pseudo seizure. I guess the combination of low blood sugar and the stress of having a needle in her arm was too much for her. The phlebotomist actually noticed it first, and started to alert the other workers. I told her it was OK, and that Ms. D gets pseudo seizures when stressed. After that, the staff calmed down and we let her sit there for a little bit. I liked it that they seemed to understand what was going on and didn't make a big deal about it. This seizure was short, but Ms. D forgot most of what happened until she drank some orange juice. She didn't remember my explanation to the staff, or that they offered the orange juice, or that she refused the juice at first, or responded to some of my questions. I hope she never is seriously sick or injured, because this little blood draw was enough to cause a pseudo seizure. I had just told the psychologist that Ms. D hasn't had one since May. I guess I'll still have to be careful.

I got Ms. D some Mickey D's on the way home because I felt she needed to get something in her stomach as soon as possible and we had run out of milk. I didn't want her to have another seizure waiting for me to make something. She was able to walk the puppy a little and then did some school work. But right now she's back to bed. We'll work on good sleep habits a little more gradually and after things calm down a bit. The no nap rule is going to be a hard one to keep.

I think I need a bit of a nap too! The pseudo seizures are especially tiring for me when they happen in public like that. I also have been awake since 4:30 am because we had an owl outside our window that sounded too much like our puppy. It wasn't until I went out of our bedroom that I realized that the noise was coming from outside, and the puppy was fast asleep in Ms. D's room. Hubby's alarm sounded at 5:00, so I couldn't sleep after that. There was too much on my mind. But if I don't get a little more rest, I won't be in any shape to do all that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment