Monday, August 20, 2012

Thankful We Live Close to the Hospital

Today I'm very thankful we live near the hospital and doctors' offices because we've had to go there a lot.

I took Ms. D to the child psychiatry department for a depression evaluation. No depression, so we will check her blood levels for anemia, etc. There must be some reason she sleeps so much. Yesterday she slept from three in the afternoon until eight in the evening, woke up to eat, and then slept from about nine until 10:30 in the morning. This is a little more than usual and the puppy may have needed to go out in the night, but she was sleeping soundly every time I checked on her.

Then I took Mr. I to the doctor to check his shoulder. He complained of a little pain last night but he really stepped up the complaining in the morning when it was time to do schoolwork. I thought he might be exaggerating a bit, but the fussing got to a high enough level for me to take him in. He was refusing to raise his arm above his head until after I told him we were going to the doctor. He said he didn't need to go, but by that time I decided that it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I had another cild that broke his collar bone before and I didn't realize it until the next day. So I made Mr. I go. Maybe he won't cry wolf next time, but I won't hold my breath. He's done this kind of thing before when he was dysregulated. The tiniest hurts are magnified.

So we took Mr. I to the hospital to get his shoulder x-rayed. It was fine. There was no break or dislocation. He has a sling to remind him to give it a bit of a rest when he plays, but he's not liking it one bit.

After that, I took Ms. D to get her blood drawn. I found out that she needs to be fasting for one, so instead of giving her two pricks, we'll come back tomorrow. It will be a good excuse for getting her up earlier in the morning.

So with all the doctor visits and tests, I'm glad we live one or two miles away from all the appointments. It helped to not to have to bring both to some of the appointments. I did have to put the puppy in his crate for Ms. D's since Mr. I was too frightened to stay home alone, even for an hour. It's kind of sad that a twelve year old can't be alone for such a short time, but that what we have to work with right now.

I also felt affirmed by Ms. D's psych doctor. I guess I'm not the only one to have problems with the regional center, and it wasn't a surprise that I would feel so down about the way our meeting went. I just hope that they won't deny Ms. D the support she really needs. I'll have to work on getting another IQ test done for her, this time a non verbal one. I hope the new homeschool special needs PSP will be able to do that for me. I don't feel as hesitant now that I got a little encouragement. It's amazing what a few kind words can do to change my attitude from despair to hope. I still feel stressed, and the doughnut hole and two fun sized candy bars I scarfed down when I came back from the doctors' kind of proves it, but I am wanting to do the paperwork instead of avoiding it. Though tonight I'll take a break, watch a rerun of the final day of swimming at the Olympics with Microbio Daughter, and concentrate on breathing deep slow breaths.


No comments:

Post a Comment