Thursday, September 20, 2012

Paperwork, Barf, and Other Unpleasant Tasks

As you can tell from the title, this has not been my favorite day. But through it all, I've kept a good attitude, at least I think I have.

We took our van in to get fixed today. I thought it would just be brakes and maybe shocks, but it turns out that there was a whole lot more that needed to be done, a new timing belt, motor mount that broke, and while our mechanic neighbor had the engine out, the water pump and more. None of those things could have been put off, except the shocks, which we saved for later. The rest were essential and needed to be done before we drove another mile. We did have to put some of the repairs on the credit card, which was pretty hard to do since we are trying to get out of debt, not deeper in it. Fortunately, our friends had given us money the other day for travel and household expenses. I don't want to imagine what would have happened, had I put off the repairs any longer for a lack of cash. A broken timing belt could have ruined the engine, and bad brakes are just plain dangerous. I certainly would not have brought it in without our friends' help. For that I am so thankful.

After getting the news about the expensive van repairs, I found out a good friend's little boy may have Aspergers. What makes it even more difficult is that my friend already has other family members on the autistic spectrum and has her plate full already. Fortunately, she is having a lot more support in her state than she ever did for her daughter here in California. California isn't a very good state to have a child who has a disability. Even with Ms. D's FAS and MR, the state and schools here have dragged their feet every step of the way.

While talking with my friend I was reminded to send a test to the regional center for Ms. D's evaluation for services. And guess what? The psychologist happened to call later in the afternoon to remind me. So I filled out a few pages of paperwork and sent it off this evening after picking up the van. I do not like paperwork and had been putting it off for a couple of months.

While talking on the phone with my friend, I was interrupted by Mr. I. He had a headache and was really whiney. Well, the headache turned into a full blown stomach flu that's been going around friends and extended family. I thought we had missed it, but no, it's here. I'm hoping the tiredness, headaches, and queasiness that I've had the past day or so is as bad it will get for me. It isn't easy being a mom and sick at the same time. I hope Mr. I gets over it quickly. I just read an article about how FASD affects immune function. If you're as medical geeky as I am, you might be interested in reading it here.

Hubby also found out today that he will not be able to telecommute for his job from Oregon. They would like him to stay here. We were kind of hoping to move closer to our parents in their golden years, where the kids would be away from gangs and have more educational and support services, and where the cost of living is far less than in Silicon Valley. But I know that God knows what would be best for our family, and our older kids have pretty solid roots here in California right now. I'd really miss my grandson! Telecommuting may be an option later, or we can go after Hubby retires, but for now we're staying put. Hubby and I did go for some pho when we picked the car up and had a good talk. The pho was easy on my stomach and so delicious. I'm so thankful that Microbio Daughter was able to care for the kids so we could spend some time together.

But the day still wasn't over! I had to write course descriptions and grading policies for Ms. D's school by tomorrow. I thought I'd get it done a day early and finished all six class descriptions in one evening. I didn't want to put it off to the last day. Is procrastinating still procrastinating if you put something off until the day before the due date, when you could have done it in the last two weeks? Mmmm...yeah...But I really, really hate paperwork!

My older kids used to joke around with me after the first day of school. They'd wave all the paperwork I needed to sign in front of my face and laugh. It's not the difficulty that bugs me. I can handle just about anything a bureaucrat throws at me. I just think I've signed enough documents and answered enough silly questions for a few lifetimes when we fostered and adopted. I'll do it if I have to, but it's not my favorite thing to do! Did I say I hated paperwork?

No comments:

Post a Comment