Saturday, October 6, 2012

Friendship

There are some friends that I reconnect with easily, even though I haven't seen them in awhile. They are the kinds of friends that we can pick up where we left off months and years before, and feel like we were together just yesterday. These kind of friendships take a long time to develop, but once the connection is there, distance, time, and the busyness of life can't separate us.

I had lunch with one of those friends today. Though we live relatively close, the challenges of our busy lives have kept us from getting together.  The demands of family, jobs or ministries, and travel have prevented our calendars from being in sync. Although we haven't seen each other in over a year, we were able to enjoy being with each other this afternoon, sharing our lives, and praying for one another. It was good to see my dear friend. The distance of time was not enough to come between us, though we both don't want another year and a half to pass before we see each other again. But what's interesting to me is that there was no shame in letting too much time pass. We were not feeling guilty for not calling one another sooner, but just happiness that we could connect today.

I have other friends that live far away from me now. They live out of state and even out of the country. Thankfully, we are able to keep up with each other through the blessings of technology. Two of them have had major life challenges this week, yet we were able to pray for each other and support one another. Sometimes our prayers are instant messages, other times we can talk on the phone. It may not be by face to face contact, yet we are able to connect as if we are together.

There are other women that I've never met, though there is a connection somehow. They are women who have written things that have touched me, encouraged me, and have challenged me. Some of them are women who are walking a similar path. Others are on paths so different from mine, yet there still is a connection.

I also have friends I see more often. Some are also very close. Others not quite so. Some have children, some do not. Some are married, others single. There is such a diversity. Even though they may or may not develop into close friendships, they are still important. They fulfill a big need in my life and help me through life's trials. And I hope I can encourage them along the way too. They are amazing in their courage, their faith, their passions, and their uniqueness. They are amazing women!

I am so thankful for my friendships with other women. They are a gift.



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you have such friendships! Mine are a gift straight from heaven. : )

    ReplyDelete