Saturday, October 6, 2012

Rest in the Midst of a Busy Day

Running here and running there.

Doing this and doing that.

Pray, shower and get ready for the day, puppy, talk to sister and father-in-law about mother-in-law who was in surgery, puppy, pay bills, puppy, talk on the phone with a friend concerning her special needs daughter, puppy, make breakfast for hubby, puppy, and out the door by 9:00 am...

...To drive over the mountains, toward the ocean, to a friends house...A friend that is a spiritual director...

...And slow down...turn off my phone...

...And breathe...

...And listen to God invite me to rest...

...And not only recognize His hand in providing, leading, and guiding...

...But to quiet myself long enough to enjoy Him...

And after that, I went to the beach...And rested...
 And watched a man teach his sons to surf...
 And enjoyed the beautiful day...In peace...

So when I came back home later in the day, and needed to take care of kids, walk the dogs, repair my relationship with Ms. D by joking and laughing, and taking the puppy to socialize with another guide dog puppy, go to the library, get some pizza for dinner because I didn't have time to cook, clean the house because church will be at our house tomorrow, sort through papers, read the mail, talk to another friend on the phone with a special needs kid, mow the lawn (it's very small but it still takes a few minutes), take care of the animals, watch a singing competition online with Ms. D, do laundry, talk to a neighbor who stopped by...I did all those things and more...

Yet I could do it all in peace... And have more energy... And a better attitude...Not because things were any less busy...Not because I am not concerned about my mother-in-law in the hospital, or my friend who is out of work, or the spiritual and emotional state of the kids...

Not because everything is perfect...

But because of taking some time out to slow down and listen...

I can enjoy life, enjoy God,  enjoy my family, and enjoy others.

I am not as overwhelmed.

I am busy on the outside, but at peace on the inside.

And can sense God's presence better.

Because I was given the gift of a couple of hours of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment