Thursday, November 22, 2012

Grandma's French Apple Slices

My grandma made the best apple dessert. It was one of the things we ate every Thanksgiving I can remember. Years ago, she gave me the recipe, and each time I make it, I remember her smile, her hugs, and her quick wit.



French Apple Slices

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Filling:

Mix together:
   4 cans unsweetened apples or fresh equivalent (I don't know how much that really is, so I estimate)
   1 lb. light brown sugar
   1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
   1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
   1/2 tsp. salt
   2 heaping Tbsp. flour

Dough:

Sift together:
    4 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt

Cut in as for pie crust:
    3 sticks of margarine (I use butter, but if you use margarine, make sure it doesn't have water)

Mix together:
   4 egg yolks
   14 Tbsp. Water (very cold- I take it out of water with ice)
   2 Tbsp. lemon juice

Add the liquid to the pie crust mixture (Don't over mix)
Divide pie crust mixture in half
Roll out onto cookie sheet with 1/2 inch sides
Put filling in
Roll second half of crust
Put on top and make slits in crust (I made leaf shapes this year)

Bake 1 hour at 375 degrees or until golden brown

Drizzle slices with glaze a little after taken from oven
Glaze:
Powdered sugar, a little vanilla or maple flavoring, and a little hot water

This year, because I made leaf shapes, I sprinkled the top with a little white sugar before baking instead of using the glaze. I didn't want to cover the pretty leaves!

Oh, and the rolls in the picture? I made them this morning while making the apple slices. I didn't use a recipe because I was feeling a bit adventurous. Unfortunately, they were the best rolls I had ever made! I wish I had the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment