Thursday, November 8, 2012

Leonard Cohen Concert, Humility, and Honor

Last night Hubby and I went to a Leonard Cohen concert. It was my first time at the Shark Tank, even though I've lived in San Jose over twelve years. I had a great time people watching and enjoying the concert. It was fun to spend time with my man.


I'm usually not the kind of person that enjoys concerts. I can think of a lot of other ways I'd like to spend my time and money. I don't seem to get as much out of them as others. But Hubby loves them.  So when Hubby suggested it a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good thing for him. It was. But it was good for me too.

We needed a night out. The election results, especially here in California, were a bit depressing. Hubby's aunt was terminally ill and passed away this morning, the kids have been unsettled for awhile, and I was recovering from illness. Hubby and I needed some fun time away from the pressing needs at home. I really need a vacation, but a night out with my favorite guy was good too.


Why did I enjoy this concert more than most?

The music and poetry of Leonard Cohen and his band were absolutely amazing. The band, singers, and even the sound and lighting people were not just good, but were of the highest quality. Though I may not completely agree with what he had to say, he painted word pictures with such beauty, it was a pleasure to hear how he said what was on his heart.

But even more amazing to me was the humility of Mr. Cohen, and the honor he gave to each of the members of the band and crew. Their names were not just mentioned once, but everyone was introduced three times. It wasn't just a passing introduction either. He would give their name and backgrounds in such a poetical way, you felt that they were more important than the headliner. And if someone did a solo, not only would Mr. Cohen say their name afterwards, but he would bow, kneel, or take off his hat in his or her honor. I felt like Mr. Cohen was grateful to be blessed to work with these people.

This humility and honoring of others is something I am encouraged to emulate after seeing it demonstrated in such a beautiful way. So many times I catch myself coming off as a know it all. I hate it when I see it in myself. I don't mean to be proud and uncaring. But in my insecurity, exhaustion, or ignorance, I say things I regret. I don't honor people as much as they deserve, especially when they do things that annoy me. Other times I have good intentions, but like this guy protesting before the concert, I come off as judgemental or just plain weird.


I pray that God will work in me a greater love for people so they feel honored, appreciated, and loved. It's not something I can work up by myself. I don't have the ability to accomplish it in the way people deserve. Humility doesn't come naturally to me. But with God, even that's possible.

Oh, and God, bless the protester guy. Forgive me for being passing judgement on him. Help him to feel your love and be able to better communicate your message. Bless him, Father. Bless the people who went to the concert. Help us all to get to know you better, and be able to show your love to those around us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment