Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Shocking Realization in the Middle of the Night

Yesterday I took Ms. D to the doctor to check for a UTI. She didn't have one, but the doctor who saw her spent extra time with Ms. D alone, sent her to talk to a clinical health educator , and then to get some more tests done in the lab. I wasn't worried about pregnancy, since Ms. D has been pretty well supervised, but I couldn't figure out why the Dr. looked so concerned...

...Until just after two this morning when I woke up with a start with the thought, "They are worried about anorexia!" They haven't talked to me at all, yet it all came together in the middle of the night. She has been sleeping a lot, is listless when she is awake, and cold. She is a very picky eater and doesn't eat much, which I told the doctor in the summer during Ms. D's last appointment. The doctor wasn't concerned then, because Ms. D's weight was still in the healthy range. But it really concerned the doctor on call yesterday. Ms. D didn't remember all that the health educator said, but she did say that she was asked about whether she is seeing a therapist. Ms. D has, but she doesn't talk to the current one because she "doesn't like her." It takes awhile for Ms. D to warm up to most people.

So today I need to take Ms. D to get a blood test, since it was too late in the day to get it done yesterday. I've got a long list of things to do, while I was eating my breakfast the dog ate something that made him vomit, and I'm a bit sleep deprived from worrying about my girl in the middle of the night. But I'm still hopeful that today will get better, and that we may finally get to the bottom of Ms. D's lethargy.

No comments:

Post a Comment