Monday, January 7, 2013

Good Day, Difficult Day

Today was good in some ways, but difficult in others. Even some of the events of the day had both good and bad aspects.

My oldest son started nursing school today! It will be a hard year for him and his family, since it is an accelerated course, but will be good in the long run. He'll make such a good nurse!

My nephew turned sixteen. Tomorrow he goes for his drivers license. It was good to get to see him last week. He is an awesome guy!

We started homeschool after a two week break. Mondays typically are difficult. Changes in schedules are upsetting to the kids. School in general is hard for the kids. Mr. I had a sore throat which made it even more difficult. The morning started our rough, but we were able to finish almost every subject.

We found a home for the bunny that Brewster found in the backyard the other day. No one responded to the signs or lost and found ads. Ms. D really wanted to keep the bunny, but I'm allergic to rabbits and we have too many pets already, including two other rabbits.  One more animal and we would be in danger of pet hoarding. When I told Ms. D we needed to take the bunny to the shelter, she found a home for him right away. The people have had rabbits before and will take good care of him. But Ms. D is pretty upset.

I have a backache and the bunny allergies are annoying. At least I don't have a migraine! The bathroom project mess is still all over the house, and I have a lot of cleaning and organizing to do after the vacation. But at least I have a home.

I read a post about a mother who lost her twelve year old son in a skiing accident, but she was comforted that he had become a Christian a year or so before he died. I'm thankful she had that comfort. Yet I started to think about Ms. D, who is pretty outspoken that she isn't a Christian, especially during times that she is angry or unattached. To me, having a relationship with God is the most important thing in the world. The kids know it, and sometimes use it to hurt me.  I have prepared myself to lose her to the birth family, yet to lose her to death would be even more painful. But God loved us, even when we were still in our sin, and I am called love Ms. D, even if she makes decisions that will hurt herself and me. It's easy to love those who love you back, but I've learned I'm learning to love those who fight back in their pain.

A number of my friends are struggling with relationships, jobs, health, surgery, kids in crisis, and difficult decisions. I wish I could encourage them better, help them, and know how to pray for their needs.

Yet I have so much to be thankful for. Hubby has a job. I have a roof over my head and food in my belly, well, too much food! My oldest kids are doing well, and are productive adults who are right with God. We get along well. When we visited a church during our vacation, a woman was there who understands FASD, and was able to draw Ms. D out by talking about dogs, hair, and makeup. She wasn't phased by the kids sulking and withdrawing. I can't tell you how good it is to talk to someone who understands.

I'm a bit weary and wish some things could be easier, but all in all, I'm blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I wish I did not have my munchkins always with me--I would offer to come and clean with you! Not because you need help, but because it is always more fun that way! : )

    I am so glad God is bigger than anything we can dish up.

    And yoo-HOO on the paperwork! (referring to your most recent post) I need to take a deep breath and start digging--I have not gone through mail since before Christmas, and have about 2 bags of junk mail from earlier that I need to go through, which were tucked away at some point when the in-laws were coming for a sudden visit. I really should be better about taking care of it as it comes in, but have a terrible habit of just setting it down in The Mail Bowl. And then ignoring it until it becomes the Leaning Tower of Mail Bowl. Hope my confession makes you feel better about your own former pile-up! : )

    I pray this week ends well for you.

    ReplyDelete