Saturday, March 2, 2013

Was that Birth Brother?

Even though my kids have only talked once to the birth dad and not at all to the birth mom since early December, there is still a bond. I just can't figure it out.

Today, as we were going to the store, Ms. D thought she saw one of her brothers. I turned around, but couldn't get a good look at him. Ms. D's friend said it wasn't him, but Ms. D insisted it was. I had to get back in time for church, so we continued to the store. What came next was confusing to me. Ms. D acted extremely drunk as we went down the aisles. She giggled loudly, couldn't walk in a straight line, and couldn't concentrate. She called her birth mom to see if she really did see her brother, and then acted even more drunk.

I couldn't get out of the store fast enough. Of course, this store didn't have enough employees and it took twice as long as usual for us to get out of there. The man working in the electronics section was covering for another worker and didn't know his way around. One man asked a question about phone cards that the worker couldn't answer quickly and another guy paid for something with coins which took over five minutes to count. Then all but one of the checkers went to lunch, making the Saturday afternoon lines very long. Why is it when you are in the most hurry, people slow down?

But we finally were able to get out of there without causing too many heads to turn. I guess people are used to seeing odd sights at Walmart anyway. A fourteen year old girl acting drunk isn't shocking enough, I guess!

I'll have to do some research to see if stress can cause drunk-like behavior in people with FASD. It's strange, but I can think of no other explanation.

Thankfully, Ms. D calmed down when we finally came home, and was able to take Brewster to church with Microbio Daughter. Hopefully we'll have a peaceful night. I need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment