Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I'm OK

Today I had a bit of a scare and went to the emergency room. I was concerned about a migraine symptom the other day, so I emailed my doctor. Because my doctor was out of town, another doctor emailed me back this morning and told me to go to straight to the emergency room. The emergency room doctor didn't think it was too serious, but I had a CAT scan just to be safe. It came out normal, which is reassuring. I am OK.

I did learn a few things though:

1. It didn't take long at all for the family and friends to contact me to make sure I wasn't going to die or anything like that. I got calls and texts before I was even checked in. Hubby came home from work early and I had multiple offers of rides home. I didn't tell the family many details before I left, in order not to disturb the younger kids. But because I was vague, I think it worried the older ones and Hubby more. I honestly didn't think it was a real emergency, but going to the emergency room was the only way to rule out something more serious. If I thought I was really ill, I wouldn't have driven myself to the hospital. It was nice to be able to text people to keep them informed.

2. CAT scans are quick and pretty interesting. I kept my eyes closed during the procedure because I didn't know if I should or not, but I wish I would have thought to ask if I could. I can get pretty geeky about medical things.

3. I don't have a tumor, an aneurism, a clot, or any other really scary brain problem.  It was good to know, since two of my friends had mini-strokes in the past month and my grandpa died of a brain tumor when he was about my age now. But it looks like my family will have to put up with me for quite awhile. Sorry, teens, you can't get rid of me yet!

4. Migraines are odd, nasty things. I do not like them.

5. I really have a great family. Even the little ones, who have had tough times lately, are great. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment