Monday, June 10, 2013

Carly's Voice

I just finished a book, Carly's Voice, by Arthur Fleischmann and his daughter Carly who has autism and a few other things like apraxia. It is inspiring and well written. I am so thankful for people like Carly and Temple Grandin, who can communicate the inner world of autism. It helps me to understand some of the people close to me. There are so many people on the autism spectrum in Silicon Valley.

Even though my kids don't have autism, reading a book like this helps me to be more understanding of the difficulty of Ms. D's and Mr. I's lives. I so often want my kids to just be normal, but I forget that being normal is much harder because of their FASD and a few other things like past trauma. It is hard to be a parent of a child with a hidden disability. I need to remember that it is much harder to be the child who has to deal with the disability every minute of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment