Friday, June 7, 2013

Confession

I took Ms. D grocery shopping with me today. Other than when we ate lunch with Microbio Daughter, we were alone. As we drove from store to store, Ms. D felt safe confessing all she did the past year. I did my best to calmly listen, so she opened up even more.  If she thought like a typical teen, she wouldn't have shared as much as she did. But she isn't a typical teen. FASD has impacted the way she thinks, how she makes decisions, and how she can follow through with what she already knows. Lately, I wondered if I was worrying too much, if I was overblowing the whole thing. I wasn't. I'm thankful she told me what happened and that it ended fairly well, but at the same time I am even more frightened than before.

I also have a confession to make. I don't know how I can fully protect my kids from the many secondary conditions of FASD. The lack of judgement and executive function, the impulsivity, the gullibility, and the desire to be liked is a scary combination in this world. Neighbors, doctors, the kids' friends, and Mr. I have hidden too much from me this past year, well, the past few years. I want to keep my girl safe, but I haven't been able to do it as well as I would have liked. But like I told her, we can only pick ourselves up, start anew, and work with what we have. And pray, because I know we can't do it alone.

1 comment:

  1. You are such an amazing Mom!! I learn so much from you. Being closer has helped me in so many ways even though its only been over a week I feel a calmness I haven't felt in awhile. <3

    ReplyDelete