Friday, August 30, 2013

Unexpected Blessings

I have had many unexpected blessings lately.

When in the midst of crisis or grief, one can become hardened, or live in a state of fear that another difficulty is right over the horizon. I was there just a few weeks ago, tearing up daily, dreading another heart breaking event.

Fortunately, those times pass, and healing comes. Ms. D and some other teen girls graduated from their group therapy Tuesday night. As I looked at the faces of some of the other parents, I could see a difference between the ones who were newly joining the group, and those of us who were ready for the next phase of therapy. I saw the hurt, the wiping of silent tears from the eyes, on the faces of the parents who were new to the group. The rest of us were smiling and cheerful. I realized then how much we have healed.

After emerging from the time of crisis, I have a better outlook on life. Instead on focusing on what is difficult or annoying, I've been searching for the good. It is getting easier and I have received blessings that I haven't expected.

Mr. D and Ms. I were very well behaved during our vacation. They were helpful and courteous, despite being stretched beyond their comfort zone. Ms. D hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls and Mr. I helped clean up, not only after himself, but others too! Their behavior was better than I could have hoped, and I was able to get some real rest.

I went to a gathering of my old homeschool group yesterday at a park. The families blessed me and my former co-leader with cards, gifts, and touching words of encouragement and thanks. I have tears of joy just thinking about the time and the awesome women of our group.

We had our anniversary this week. Both Hubby and I, because we were on vacation schedule, didn't realize that our anniversary was Wednesday until my sister sent us her greetings. So yesterday Hubby and I went out on a date. We went to eat adult food at a Thai restaurant. We were able to eat brown rice and spices! If you have children who are picky eaters, you would understand what a blessing that is! Afterwards, we walked through town and were unexpectedly blessed by a dance on the streets of Morgan Hill. What's even more special is that the band played 1970's music, which was the era we were in high school and married. We sat on a park bench nearby and were able to to listen to the music and the sound of a splashing fountain as we talked. We didn't expect the concert, but it added to our festivities.

There have been more blessings, and I'm trying to focus on those. It helps me to enjoy life and love those around me. I am happier when I acknowledge the blessings, both large and small.


No comments:

Post a Comment