Saturday, September 21, 2013

After Thirty*cough*Somthing Years

I have a friend from childhood. We would do almost everything together. I taught her how to play saxophone, and she tried to teach me to play flute. We had sleepovers at her house. I thought my place was too chaotic and she was terrified of my collie. We played cards long into the night, and talked, and talked. She had a special place in my heart.

After high school, I moved away from the Midwest and we lost touch. But a few years ago, we found each other online.

Then last week, she told me she was going to be in our area. My friend and her husband had originally planned to go to Colorado, where there had been flooding, so they had to change their plans. And so we met yesterday and I saw her for the first time since high school. We went for a morning hike and had lunch.

I wondered how it would work out. Sometimes people grow so differently over the years, and there is too much awkwardness to continue a friendship. But it wasn't the case this time.

We hiked and talked, and talked. Our lives have taken us on different paths, but she is just as dear to me now as she was when I was young.  She teaches music and has focused her energy on her career and husband. I chose to stay home with a bunch of kids and only pick up my saxophone once in awhile. We both have good lives though, just different.  I am so happy for my friend. I was thrilled that she married a kind man who has been good to her. I am pleased that she is blessing her community with music.

As we talked, I realized I didn't remember some of the more difficult times in our lives. I didn't remember the time her dad's car broke down, and we had to run a mile and a half to the school with our  alto saxes. I don't remember the hard things, the tears and the fears. My memories of my childhood are rather sketchy. There was quite a bit of trauma, which has a way of messing with a person's mind. But I remember the fun times, the peaceful times, and what a good friend she was. And though I may think it is kind of strange to not remember much of my childhood, I am content to remember what is uplifting. I had a dear friend, and we are still friends today!

My Friend and Her Husband

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had that special time of catching up with an old friend. Your way of describing your childhood was really good for me to hear too, because I have been changing the way I think about parenting, homeschooling--by thinking 10 or 20 years from now what will my kids remember. They are not likely to remember the little day to day stuff, and they probably won't remember the times when I lost my cool and was not my best mommy self--but I think they will remember over all growing up in a house with a mommy who they know loved them. That's my hope at least! : )

    ReplyDelete