Thursday, September 5, 2013

Catching Up

We've been home from vacation for over a week and a half, but I still feel like I'm falling behind faster than I'm catching up. I guess it usually does take just as long to recover after a vacation as it does to have one. Of course my expectations are always to get more done than humanly possible and that everyone will do as I wish. Isn't that what we all do to some extent? But some of us are much better at unrealistic expectations and insist on perfection from ourselves and our loved ones. You can imagine how well that works.

And if our own standards aren't high enough, we have the ability to look at the strengths of other people and compare them to our weaknesses. After all, if my friend can keep a clean house and have three special needs kids, I should be able to do it with only two special needs teens, right? It doesn't matter that I've just started the homeschooling year, have something in common with the woman who touched the hem of Jesus's garment and feel anemic and tired, am in the middle of a house project, am fifteen years older than my friend, have had extra doctor and psych appointments, have to comfort the family because our guide dog puppy is leaving, and am distracted by an adorable grandson, reading, and crocheting. The temptation is to cut out all the non essential tasks in order to catch up, yet I can't physically or emotionally keep up to a superwoman pace.

So I work a little, rest a little, and do what I can. I give myself the grace to be human and give others grace to be human also. I make mistakes and I am certainly not perfect.  I am not as good as some people at certain things, yet others probably look at me and wonder how I ever do what I do! Someday I'll be organized, someday my house will be spotless, but for right now, I'll need some help if it can be clean enough for church Saturday. What gets done will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment