Friday, October 11, 2013

Big Change

We have had many changes the past few weeks, and now I can let others know the biggest change that I have been holding back until things were more sure.

We are planning to move to Seattle.

The teens have been freaking out, which was expected. I have been dreading this day for weeks. I just endured an evening of listening to the same line, "I don't want to move!" Add sobs, tears, f-bombs, threats, and hours long whining and it's no surprise that I'm in a numb state right now. It's a good thing I practiced ignoring loud crying years ago when my babies had colic and cried for hours on end. Fortunately, both kids are off to their friends houses for the night. I don't think I could have held it together much longer if I had to listen to it more. 

I knew moving would be difficult for the kids. Because of that, we haven't made the decision lightly. There are many reasons for our move. We will be in a better place financially because of the difference in the cost of living. Hubby will have a more secure job with better funding. We will be closer to our parents as they get older and near others in our extended families. We will be away from some of the negative influences here. It doesn't mean that the kids won't find trouble in the new place, but maybe it will slow things down. The University of Washington is in Seattle, which has been doing research and treatment for fetal alcohol since the 1970's. I have been so frustrated with the lack of resources and awareness of FASD in California.

We have to go through the transition time, which I don't expect to be easy. We not only have to get our house ready to sell, move out of state, and settle into a new place, but we will have to do it with two teens who are fearful of change. But not everything that is good is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment