Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Help

I have a hard time asking for help. I can be in a very difficult situation, and I can't bring myself to call my friends for assistance. I don't know if it is some kind of Midwest German work ethic, years of doing things frugally and independently, if I don't feel worthy of asking people to make time for me out of their busy schedules, or I'm so overwhelmed I don't know what to ask. I've been in situations where I've been over my head, yet still tell myself that I could do it if I just worked harder. Sometimes I am surprised that I could accomplish so much, but other times I fall on my face.

I am a bit envious of those who can ask for help and get it. I know one woman who is moving with her husband in a month or two and already has a paper shredding party scheduled. She is going to have movers, yet she doesn't hesitate to ask for help. I am in a much worse situation. Hubby is leaving in a few days, I have to get our house ready to sell in a week, painting, repairing, and cleaning. I have two kids at home who are a handful in normal circumstances, and we are packing ourselves to move out of state. Yet I freeze when someone asks me how they can help.

Fortunately, my older kids know me. They understand me well enough to just show up. Their help has been amazing!

When I'm not as busy, I'll have to figure out what is wrong with me that I find it easier to help others than to receive. But now I need to get a few more things done before I head to bed. It's been a tiring, but fruitful day.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha "when i'm not as busy, i'll have to figure out whats wrong with me" classic! Glad your kids are pitching in!

    ReplyDelete