Friday, November 15, 2013

Connecting During Transitions

I realized around two in the morning last night that Mr. I was having a hard time with us selling our present house and buying another. He came in my room with a scrape on the top of his head. He must have been thrashing about in his sleep.

Because of this and a bit of an attitude this morning, I decided to try to connect with Mr. I and help him with the change. Change is hard enough as it is, but it's worse when kids come from difficult backgrounds. Connecting worked better than confronting.

We went to two different malls. If you know me, you know how much I hate those things. The first mall visit was cut short because I had to run back home to sign for our new house. Wow! It doesn't seem real that in a little over a month we will be living in a different state!

When I was done with the signing we went to the second mall. I was so hungry by then, but it was a good opportunity to talk to Mr. I about how low blood sugar and stress affect people. Even moms get hungry and anxious. I hope I modeled well how to dial down. No, more likely he just learned that mommies need some down time too. It didn't seem to matter how I was able to calm myself down, what mattered is that Mr. I and I were able to connect.

We all need to draw together in difficult times. Connecting needs to be a priority. We can't do this alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment