Monday, December 2, 2013

We Are Stronger Than We Think

Hubby came home this past weekend.


We had a delightful Thanksgiving dinner on Friday at the older girls' apartment.


It was the last time this year, and maybe for awhile, that we were able to get the whole family together in one place at the same time.




Just before we ate, Ms. D and I walked to the store, since she can't eat mashed potatoes without sour cream. She held my hand and was very well attached. I think she really liked Dad being home, even for just a day or two.

While we were walking, Ms. D asked me if it's been hard on me to have Hubby gone for so long. I said, yes, I really missed him. But even though it's been a difficult month, I was, we all were, able to accomplish more than I ever thought possible. We did things that we thought we couldn't do. We are stronger than we think.

I told Ms. D that she is stronger than she thinks, too. We all are. When we have to, we can do more than we give ourselves credit. We were able to do get the house ready to sell while Hubby was in Seattle. As far as I know, the younger kids are adjusting to the idea of moving and are doing well. My older girls were able to have Thanksgiving dinner at their place, even though they have been so busy. Drumming Son and his family are almost done with the year long intensive nursing school adventure. I have three in our family who are doing well in college right now. I was able to drive solo 1,400 miles in two days in order to move some things up to the Northwest this weekend. Thats driving twelve to thirteen hours a day for two days in a row!

I'm not saying that everything has been perfect. There have been times when I was a puddle on the floor and really needed help. Sometimes life throws curveballs that are so hard, you're knocked off your feet. Life isn't always neat and pretty. I don't think the saying, "God only gives you what you can handle," is always true. Sometimes we are given much more than we can handle, that's why we need God and others.

But when the dust settles, and the crisis is over, you realized that you were able to accomplish much more than you realized you could do. You wonder how you did it. And then you realize that you are stronger than you think, much stronger!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You ARE so much stronger than you realize, and then God is stronger than that! I am so glad you had a good Thanksgiving with your family, and things are going well in this phase. And that you have your hubby home for a few days!

    ReplyDelete