Friday, May 9, 2014

A Blessing at the Right Time

Yesterday started rough.

One child was sick from drinking water from a pipe near the beach. My child was thirsty, the dog drank the water, it looked clean, and it tasted really good! We don't know where the water came from. We don't know what kind of things were in the water. I'm hoping there wasn't giardia. Those things are cute under the microscope but not so cute in the belly. Did the heavy rains the day before flush the water clean, or bring more microbes to that pipe? I don't know, but a day or so later, my child started to have intestinal problems.

People with FAS often have a hard time generalizing and decision making. I need to teach the kids every little thing, even in their teenage years. No, you can't flush a wad of duct tape down the toilet. Just because water looks clean and tastes really good doesn't mean that it is clean. A stranger is someone who mom or dad doesn't know their name, address, and phone number. So even if you saw someone at the school or park before, that person is still a stranger and you can't get in their car. The list of things to teach is endless, and I'm often caught be surprise when my kids do something so oblivious. I sometimes forget and ask them why. They don't know why. I don't know why. No one knows why. So why do I ask them?

I also got called into the principal's office. I have a hard time being called to the principals office, even if it's my child who didn't follow directions, kept sliding on someone's spilled drink and was disrespectful to authorities trying to keep kids from breaking their necks. I told the principal that the consequences were appropriate, but did my child swear at him? No? Yay! That means my child had some kind of control and wasn't completely wacky! I'm sorry for what happened, but something like this may happen again. This is an explanation, not an excuse, but kids that have been exposed to alcohol prenatally don't make good decisions and sometimes get stuck doing something stupid, over, and over, and over. But a couple of days of detention will be good for my kid.  It may help my kid to think about things before acting, but probably not. Sorry!

I was anxious yesterday. I just found doctors the day before and I already took both kids in for illnesses. I was worried for the kids. As soon as I was done with the school, the doctor, and picking up something for dinner, I had to drop our guide dog puppy off at a puppy sitter's for two weeks. Sick kids, school problems, a testing schedule at school, a stressful separation from the puppy were all possible triggers for a crisis. I noticed my heart pounded as I waited in the doctor's office. Would I be able to handle two kids melting down at the same time? I doubted it!

But then I came home to some beautiful flowers from two of my daughters! The timing was perfect!


I went to a church meeting and chatted with a woman who works with teenaged foster kids. I was able to laugh about my crazy life with someone who understood!

Hubby was kind and supportive.

And the kids didn't have a meltdown after all. Well, one kid had one, but is was small, short lived, and away from me. At least I hope it was short lived and small. Otherwise I'd feel sorry for the school employees.

I didn't think I could make it through yesterday, but is wasn't as bad as I feared. I suppose that's how many of life's challenges are. The mountain may look pretty formidable, and probably is, but it can be climbed one step at a time. If I count the blessings along the way, I'll get a lot farther than if I just look at my shortcomings and obstacles.  I know that people and God have my back and that I'll have what I need to keep going.  And sometimes things like flowers, prayers, and kind words come to encourage me just when I think I can't go any farther. Thanks everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry for the stress! Please do tell us when you know if there is any parasite or not--I'm praying not!!! But even if so, I am praying too that God will keep encouraging you and blessing you.

    ReplyDelete